Our NC Woody Biomass program provides educational opportunities and professional services related to the development of economic opportunities related to woody biomass-based alternative energy. This is accomplished through our expertise in outreach, research, and our ability to build partnerships. We work with N.C. Cooperative Extension agents in all 100 counties and partners, providing publications and online resources, conferences, county meetings, and field demonstrations. The program’s goal is to provide education and materials that promote economic opportunities related to woody biomass-based renewable energy. The program provides resource analyses to major utilities, private industries and others, a forum on bioenergy and other forms of alternative energy for the larger community. The program has publications and other resources available for your use. These materials provide information for anyone interested in learning more about woody biomass-based renewable energy. Select the resource below.
See what a landowner and business owner think about utilizing woody biomass as a feedstock for energy production by viewing our videos below.
- Landowner Perspective
- Business Owner Perspective
Biomass blog. The blog provides landowners, consultants, agencies, academia, and the biomass community with current training opportunities, press releases, event happenings, information and educational materials pertinent to biomass and biomass utilization.
Publications are available in a pdf format and are available free for downloading. A free pdf reader can be downloaded from Adobe.
- Technologies that produce electricity, heat, and fuel from biomass feedstocks (IBSS-1508) NEW!
- Biomass Feedstocks Characteristics (IBSS-1511) NEW!
- Bioenergy in the Southeast: Current and Past Policies Driving Markets (IBSS-1603) NEW!
- A Biomass and Bioenergy Glossary for Forest Landowners (WB0001)
- The North Carolina Biomass Roadmap: Recommendations for Fossil Fuel Displacement through Biomass Utilization (WB0002)
- The North Carolina Renewable Energy Portfolio Standard and its Significance for NC Forest Landowners (WB0003)
- Community Economic Profile: Buncombe and Orange County Examples (WB0004)
- Sustainable Woody Biomass Harvesting: Minimizing Impacts (WB0005)
- Economic Impacts of using Woody Biofuels in North Carolina (WB0006)
- Managing Forests for Biomass Potential (WB0007)
- Conversion Factors for Bioenergy (WB0008)
- Minimizing Wildfire Risk with Biomass Harvesting (WB0009)
- Air Quality and North Carolina Wood Energy (WB0010)
- Economics of Harvesting Woody Biomass in North Carolina (WB0011)
- Timber Management Goals Through Woody Biomass Harvesting (WB0012)
- Trees, Carbon and Climate Change (WB0013)
- Woody Biomass – Frequently Asked Questions (WB0014)
- How to Rapidly Inventory Scattered and Piled Forest Harvest Residue (AG-754W)