Check the Label Before You Spray!
With the frequent rain and hot weather, weeds have had a banner year! Whether they are growing in our lawns or vegetable and flower gardens, they’ve done well this year. But, gardeners need to remember a few things about the use of weed killers in the summer:
- Never apply in vegetable gardens unless the product is listed for use in the vegetable garden.
- Never apply just before rain because it can get washed off before it has a chance to work.
- Look at the temperature restrictions before spaying herbicides. Some weed killers such as Round Up don’t work well when temps are high. It is listed on the label.
- Some products having planting restrictions which means you have to wait a certain number of days before planting where herbicides have been applied.
- Make sure the herbicide is labeled for the weed you are wanting to kill.
Following these simple rules will make weed control safe and successful this summer